It usually takes 2-14 days to start a dropshipping business. It definitely depends on your website development experience. If you bought a turnkey webstore, you can start promoting it and working with your customers immediately. It will take you 2-4 hours a day.
- Choose a supplier – it may be one of the big retailers like Amazon, AliExpress, eBay or someone from a long list of dropshipping supplier directories.
- Choose a platform on which your dropshipping store will be built.
- Select a niche – this is perhaps one of the most important steps. Make a research and rate your niche’s potential. The result of all your future work will depend on it. In order not to make a mistake when choosing a niche, you can use this test, for example.
- Buy a domain and hosting.
- Make a dropshipping store on your own or buy a turnkey solution.
- Add products that fit for your niche.
- Edit all product pages very carefully – edit or take new photos, add meta-tags, make proper product descriptions.
- Write some texts for the main page and for all categories of your website.
- Create pages in social media and make at least 3-5 posts.
- Develop a promotional strategy of your store and follow it.
Of course, there are a lot of unoccupied niches, which can bring you profits. Lots of dropshippers not only talk big about how great they are, but give guidance to beginners and publish different case studies based on their own experience. Go on dropshipping forums and find these people there.
It depends on the selected niche, whether it is winning or not, and how you will promote your store. However, your income depends most of all on the number of products sold.
Let’s suppose that the average price of the products is $15 and your mark-up is 30%. Each sale will bring you $4.5.
The statistics say that during the first month people usually order 10-30 products, so your income will be $45-135. After a good promotion campaign (about half a year) the number of clients will be increasing and finally may reach about 1000 a month, which means you will earn $4500.
No question, the estimate is rough, but it shows your potential profits.
Besides that, always keep in mind how much you want to earn and how many clients you need to attract. It helps you work out your own promotional strategy and assess the amount of work to be done for achieving the goal.
Some companies offer a free trial period which allows customers access to dropshipping systems and directories, so you can start with it.
Unfortunately it’s impossible to enjoy all advantages of dropshipping business for 7-14 days. During this period you can create a dropshipping store, but it’s unlikely to promote it and make any profits. Besides that, free dropshipping directories leave much to be desired – as usual, the quality of suppliers is bad.
After the trial period you had to make one-time or regular payments for the services providing by the company. That is the reason why you cannot start dropshipping business with no money at all. However, you can well save your money by making a dropshipping store on WordPress and purchasing a special plugin. This process is more time-consuming than buying a turnkey solution, but much cheaper.
- Doing nothing to promote a store (for free or for a price);
- Choosing a very broad niche that covers everything, but cannot fight off competition and overcome all difficulties with promotion;
- Misunderstanding of your target audience – if you don’t know your customers and their needs your business will fail
- Following the wrong marketing strategy.
In 2018 there are still many unoccupied niches for dropshipping business. Moreover, every day are created new trends that you can catch and get some benefits.
There are some ways of luring more customers to your dropshipping website:
- Organic search that requires right website optimization;
- PPC – contextual advertising on Google or other search systems;
- Google Shopping – a kind of contextual advertising created special for online stores;
- Social media promotion;
- Social network advertising.
Definitely yes. There are lots of success stories about dropshippers that for several months have come to making a regular income comparable to their full-time salary. In order to make the same progress, you should:
- Select a profitable niche;
- Make a high quality dropshipping store with excellent photos and comprehensive product descriptions;
- Use Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for product pages;
- Invest time and money for promotional campaigns;
- Keep on moving and working on your brand image and marketing, even if you’re getting lots of orders now.
- Items that are usually carefully checked before purchase
- Large and heavy items
- Items that can get damaged during transportation
- Items that can possibly experience some legal issues while being taken by a postal service and transferred through customs
The perfect niche for dropshipping business should be:
- quite specific to compete with e-commerce titans like AliExpress, Amazon and eBay;
- popular among people to have a large number of potential clients and marketing opportunities;
- possibly interesting and well known to you.
Dropshipping business model has some competitive advantages:
- It is easy to start, even if you are not experienced with E-commerce;
- You may combine your dropshipping business with a full time job;
- This business is low-risk: you don’t have to rent a warehouse, recruit staff (at least at the beginning) and purchase any products;
- You have the possibility of doing a dropshipping business globally, not only in your home country.
But you should be ready to some potential pitfalls:
- You badly need reliable suppliers
- Level of competition is very high, so you should have a deliberate promotion strategy
- Shipping issues and inventory management can complicate your customer service